[nycphp-talk] Flexible Forms & How to store them...

Jon Baer jonbaer at jonbaer.com
Tue May 15 11:38:18 EDT 2007

So here has been my latest approach (or idea) ...

Since *normally* your main objective is to reach a result page (view)
of data, (either from a report or just a general link compiled from
criteria), I normally include @ least one column of YAML-based data
(a misc field of sorts).  Obviously this is based on what your doing
but its a general idea.

Then from that data and any other indexed columns on your schema
build an index using Zend Framework / Ferret / Lucene and interface
the YAML w/ that data.

I normally take this approach when Ive labelled a situation "client
can't figure out what data he really wants yet".

I think you have to think outside the box and have knowledge or
querying the index ...
http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.search.query-api.html

But once you apply behaviors to objects (and ultimately forms) like
"this object is searchable via x, y, and z" it makes managing it easier.

My opinion on the idea of microsearching your data and being flexible.

- Jon