[nycphp-talk] Support Ticket Sytem

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu May 17 18:56:50 EDT 2007

On Thu, 17 May 2007 18:38:02 -0400
Jon Baer <jonbaer at jonbaer.com> wrote:

> The system is called SARA, its a plugin for TRAC ...
>
> https://subtrac.sara.nl/oss/email2trac
>
> You were asking about email <-> email ticketing no?

Hi Jon,

Nope. That just converts between emails and trac tickets.

Let me explain further what I'm interested in. What I want is very
simple actually. I will no doubt write it myself eventually but I would
be delighted if someone "stole" my idea (provided I could use it too).

There would be two ways to submit a ticket. The first method is to simply
send an email to the support mailbox. The incoming mail component of
this thing would look at the subject of the message and determine if it
has a ticket number already. If not, it generates and insert a ticket
number. For example, if the subject of a message was 'big-time error',
the incoming mail component would transform this to '[TPF0844812]
big-time error'. It might also send an automated reply to the sender
with the ticket number in the subject with instructions that they should
include that number in any subsequent dialog about the problem.

There would also be a web interface that used PHP's IMAP interface to
allow support personnel to search on a ticket number. User's who were
logged in could also search tickets that contained the user's email
address.

Finally, the other way to submit a ticket would be through a simple web
screen that any visitor could use (of course they could not specify the
recipient - it would be hard coded to the support mailbox).

The nice thing about this system is that it can be managed entirely via
SquirrelMail. Using SquirrelMail you can search the subject line. You
can change ticket numbers if someone submits additional messages with
a new ticket number.

Depending on how you generate the ticket numbers you wouldn't even need
a database. It's just two php scripts - one for processsing incoming
mail and another for searching / submitting tickets.

Mike