[nycphp-talk] Support Ticket Sytem

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu May 17 19:26:08 EDT 2007

Hi CED,

That does look like it's worth a look but it still doesn't look like the
"IMAP server is the ticket database" paradigm I'm talking about. One of
the main benefits of what I'm talking about is that you don't have to use
the application itself - you can just use your regular email. Correct
me if I'm wrong but this looks like you would have to actually log
into eventum to initiate or processes a ticket at some point in it's
lifetime. No?

Mike

On Thu, 17 May 2007 19:14:58 -0400
"CED" <Consult at CovenantEDesign.com> wrote:

> E-V-E-N-T-U-M
>
> =D
>

> > Hi Jon,
> >
> > Nope. That just converts between emails and trac tickets.
> >
> > Let me explain further what I'm interested in. What I want is very
> > simple actually. I will no doubt write it myself eventually but I would
> > be delighted if someone "stole" my idea (provided I could use it too).
> >
> > There would be two ways to submit a ticket. The first method is to simply
> > send an email to the support mailbox. The incoming mail component of
> > this thing would look at the subject of the message and determine if it
> > has a ticket number already. If not, it generates and insert a ticket
> > number. For example, if the subject of a message was 'big-time error',
> > the incoming mail component would transform this to '[TPF0844812]
> > big-time error'. It might also send an automated reply to the sender
> > with the ticket number in the subject with instructions that they should
> > include that number in any subsequent dialog about the problem.
> >
> > There would also be a web interface that used PHP's IMAP interface to
> > allow support personnel to search on a ticket number. User's who were
> > logged in could also search tickets that contained the user's email
> > address.
> >
> > Finally, the other way to submit a ticket would be through a simple web
> > screen that any visitor could use (of course they could not specify the
> > recipient - it would be hard coded to the support mailbox).
> >
> > The nice thing about this system is that it can be managed entirely via
> > SquirrelMail. Using SquirrelMail you can search the subject line. You
> > can change ticket numbers if someone submits additional messages with
> > a new ticket number.
> >
> > Depending on how you generate the ticket numbers you wouldn't even need
> > a database. It's just two php scripts - one for processsing incoming
> > mail and another for searching / submitting tickets.
> >
> > Mike

> NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
> http://www.nyphpcon.com

Michael B Allen