[nycphp-talk] Support Ticket Sytem

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Fri May 18 16:39:47 EDT 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007 10:18:20 -0400

On 5/18/07, Michael B Allen <mba2000 at ioplex.com> wrote:

> You could do some of these thing though. You would need an actual database
> but considering you need to consistently generate new ticket numbers, you
> probably need one anyway. Then you could hang all sorts of ticket metadata
> off of that. That information would not be accessible through email
> however. There would have to be a separate web screen for that.

Each email message has a unique message id. Most modern mail clients
will show you threaded conversations by id, so it wouldn't exactly be
difficult to carry on conversations about tickets using just the IMAP
database. Priority is obvious as well, but due date not so much.

Simultaneous users could be an issue if you scale past 3-5. I always
cringe a bit when I realize I have email clients open to the same
account at work, home, and in two web browsers at once. But I've never
seen them do anything unexpected.

As for performance, how many messages are in your inbox right now?
Apple's Mail.app can search a mailbox with a few thousand messages in
real time, something no web frontend can do.

I'm not saying it's not crazy, but it is fun to think about. Until
someone selects all the tickets and hits 'delete'... :-(

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/