[nycphp-talk] IDE recommendations

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Sat May 26 20:20:14 EDT 2007

David Krings wrote:
> So, the conclusion so far is, unless I can come up with the 300$ for
> NuSphere there isn't any reason to change IDEs...at least not on
> Windows. Really disappointing and not because I want a pro IDE for free
> or on the cheap. If I'd have the bucks I'd buy NuSphere in a heartbeat,
> but you know, they don't pay much for a tech writer.Next try is to bug
> the dbg people.

Turns out the dbg people are NuSphere as it seems. Anyhow, after digging
around on the NuSphere website I came across the sales page that lists
quite different prices. They currently have a promo that ends tomorrow
and anyone evaluating their apps gets a 10% coupon. I then looked deeper
into the various things that differs in Standard vs. Pro version. I took
the advice to heart that less is often more and went with the standard
version that clocks in at 53$ after promo and coupon. That is a fair
price for a quite nice environment.
I worked with it this afternoon and really like it, especially the
debugger that works "VisualStudioish". One nice thing is also that if
the script generates a PHP error it instantly stops the script at the
offending line and turns into debug mode. That's sweet! The only beef I
had so far with it is the quite crippled PHP version that comes with it.
I replaced it with the one from the Luckasoft IDE and only had to change
the dbg dll entry to match the file name and version.
I save you all the ooohs and aaahs and write it up nicely with a
comparison between the IDEs I tried and tested with my opinion.

Thanks for all your pointers and hints. Although I didn't go with
anything that got proposed, I tried most of it and it helped me a great
deal to separate the lights from the darks and go with something that
really suits my needs and wallet.

David