[nycphp-talk] Learning SQL - Resources & Recommendations

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Fri Nov 2 07:01:25 EDT 2007

Nelly Yusupova wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> A friend of mine is trying to learn SQL and asked me for some resources
> to point her in the right direction as far as understanding SQL,
> table-driven designs, logic, etc.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Sincerely,
> Nelly Yusupova

I did my first steps using the w3schools guide
(http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp) and then using the MySQL manual to
expand my little bit of knowledge. I bought "The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL"
a few months ago, which I think is a really good book for getting to stage 2,
but it isn't really a beginners book.

Sure, I cannot do more than simple selects, inserts, updates, and deletes, but
I am impressed on how far this takes one. I did hit my limits several times
when it was about selecting and sorting across several tables, but I used
temporary tables as a workaround. Not great, but works, and in one case I
found it to be faster than the one go SQL statement, maybe due to missing
indices, unoptimized tables, overly normalized tables, or UTS errors.

David