[nycphp-talk] mysqli exception problem

Michael Southwell michael.southwell at nyphp.com
Mon Nov 5 20:34:57 EST 2007

Flavio daCosta wrote:

> This is a perfect example of why prepared statements are so much better
> for SQL injection avoidance than straight SQL calls.

Exactly why I'm working on understanding the mechanism behind it, so I
can explain it rather than just demonstrating it.

One last question: when affected_rows returns -1 (according to the docs)
it "indicates that the query returned an error." My example demonstrates
this by throwing an exception here:
   if ( $demo -> affected_rows == -1 ) throw new Exception ( "error
trying to find wines with name “" . $param . '”'  );

Where is the error that the query returned?  It's not in $demo -> error.

> Hopefully helpful and not confusing ;-)

Very much so; many thanks.