[nycphp-talk] Lurker creeping out of the shadows

enigma at nopersonal.info enigma at nopersonal.info
Mon Nov 5 21:09:52 EST 2007

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking since March and have decided that it's time to at least
introduce myself.

I've been coding HTML since 1997 (self-taught) and worked for a webdev
company during the latter part of dotcom boom. I got interested in graphic
design, so after everything went bust I switched over (never really stopped
coding though).

These days about 75% of my work involves web design, so about a year ago I
decided it was high time I learned PHP/MySQL of get left behind. I had a
terrible time wrapping my head around it at first, but finally found a
couple of good books that got me over the hump. I'm now at what I suppose
could best be termed an early intermediate level.

I've successfully completed some back-end work for clients, but it was all
more or less seat-of-the-pants trial by fire stuff. I survived and learned a
lot, so I can't really complain. I'm a freelancer, BTW.

At present I'm delving deeper into best practices where PHP security is
concerned, and trying to learn more about the inner workings of Apache. Oh,
and I literally sleep with my PHP books--I read about a few function before
dozing off, hoping that even more will sink in via osmosis.

About a year and a half ago I moved from New York to Jersey. I hope one of
these days I can make it to one of your meetings.

I guess that about covers it. I suppose I'll duck back into the shadows for
now and keep reading until the (inevitable) day comes when I get totally
flummoxed and reappear begging for help.

Best Regards,
Aminah ;-)