[nycphp-talk] Performance testing advice

Cliff Hirsch cliff at pinestream.com
Thu Nov 8 14:12:15 EST 2007

On 11/7/07 10:09 PM, "Rob Marscher" <rmarscher at beaffinitive.com> wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2007, at 1:28 PM, Cliff Hirsch wrote:
>> ...snip... one strange bug. My first access can take upwards of 30 seconds
>> for anything to happen ‹ just a blank white browser while I wait...and
>> wait... After that first hit, things are fine, regardless of whether I use
>> different browsers, different PCs, flush caches, etc.
>
> Did you figure this out, Cliff?  I'm curious to know the answer.  Are you
> using mod_php or cgi?  I was thinking that perhaps if it's some type of cgi
> solution, it could be taking time to initialize php.  Another idea is that you
> have some really slow db queries, but the results are pulled from the query
> cache on the subsequent page requests.
>
> -Rob

After driving my service provider nuts, naturally I determined that it was
an application problem. Wasn¹t an Apache problem at all. There was a curl
request buried in my code that was timing out. The request response is
cached, thus the slow home page every hour. Would have taken two seconds to
debug if I had remote debugging on the production server.