[nycphp-talk] GoogleMapAPI

Rolan Yang rolan at omnistep.com
Thu Nov 15 10:03:06 EST 2007

Steve Manes wrote:
> Gary Mort wrote:
>> Steve Manes wrote:
>>> I could as well but I don't like mucking with third-party libraries
>>> or APIs.  Murphy's Law says that after I turn this software over to
>>> the client someone will download an updated API six months from now
>>> and lose the fixes.
>>
>> Why not extend it and submit the patches back.  Than if their
>> accepted and then the thing is downloaded again in 4 months, your
>> changes are in the codebase.
>
> Maybe later.  At the moment, I'm under the gun to get the
> transportation component built for a medical referral application.
> Using Google's native API is the quickest route (pun unintended) for
> that.  I completed most of the maps stuff last night and I know that
> when they see it the client will probably request yet more
> functionality that's not in that PHP API.

You might want to let your client know that there is a maximum limit to
the number of google requests that can be made per developer key per
time period. If the app is going to be hit hard and exceeds the limit,
they may have to resort to buying a license* from Google.  I believe the
cost is $10,000.

~Rolan

* or circumvent the limit by other means.