[nycphp-talk] Need About creating search

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Wed Nov 21 15:21:37 EST 2007

csnyder wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2007 6:43 AM, David Krings <ramons at gmx.net> wrote:
>> You want to use something else and not make it from scratch (unless you
>> insist).
>>

> If you _do_ insist, or you have some reason why third-party solutions
> won't work, the simplest search accepts a single term and looks it up
> using wildcards and the LIKE comparator:
>
> $safe_q = mysql_real_escape_string( $_GET['q'] );
> $query = "SELECT * FROM pages WHERE title LIKE '%{$safe_q}%' OR
> content LIKE '%{$safe_q}%' ";
>
> In many applications this pattern is sufficient for users to find what
> they need.
>
> It breaks down when searching hundreds of thousands of rows, or if you
> need boolean searches (search for foo or bar) or some other sort of

But isn't the original request about searching pages on a site? That would
mean adding all page content into a db table, unless some keyword tagging for
individual pages is employed. For a search function like this I'd use the
database maybe to store some statistics about the entered search terms, but
not for searching the pages themselves.

David