[nycphp-talk] Off: Using VPN, but how to still connect to your LAN printer on Windows XP.

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Thu Nov 22 10:41:24 EST 2007

David A. Roth wrote:
> When using VPN on a Windows XP to work remotely to a corporate intranet,
> it won't acknowledge the printer on the LAN which has an IP address such
> as 192.168.1.xxx. Once it is connected through VPN to the corporate
> intranet, it can only see the printers in the remote office. Is there a
> way to configure Windows XP when its in this VPN remote state so that it
> can print to a printer on the local area network?
>
> Thanks in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving!

My guess is that this is by design. You hook remotely into a different
network. That network has no idea what you got at home (which is a good
thing!). So, if you need to print something, I'd transfer the file over to
your local machine and print from there. The local system should still know
about your printer. If you need to print from an application, you may want to
look at the documentation for the VPN client if there is a way to redirect the
print output to a local printer.

David