[nycphp-talk] Form action submission trickery

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Fri Nov 30 15:13:16 EST 2007

Cliff Hirsch wrote:
> True, but I have found that get input variables will override anything that
> happens to be in the url query. I find few instances where a get form makes
> much sense anyway, other than filtering/searching.

I found get to be quite handy when there is a need to embed functionality into
post forms. Example: I once created an MP3 admin and listening systems. It has
a search function that allows for selecting MP3s to be added to a playlist.
What I wanted as well is to have the ability to listen quickly to one MP3 from
the list. That required using a get that passes on the ID of the db record to
a script that comes up in a pop-up window that includes the flash based MP3
player that plays this one MP3. Using a post would have submitted the whole
form to the action script, but not to the pop-up. OK, that is not really a get
form as there are no form elements, but it changed my perception of get quite
a bit. Before then I found it to be utterly useless.

David