[nycphp-talk] SPL - Do you use?

John Zabroski johnzabroski at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 00:22:22 EDT 2007

There is nothing "abstract" about what I just said.  There is NOTHING pretentious about saving time.  Time is money; that is CONCRETE business terms.  Rapid, high-quality work is what makes workers more valuable than their peers.  I don't know what can be more concrete than saving time, and I also don't understand what's harmful about being abstract.  When programming, it's about getting things done correct, explicit, and fast.  That might mean you need to be abstract or you need to be concrete.

Very few programmers should build a solution from the ground up, and we all use off-the-shelf components somewhere to save time.  For example, there's nothing pretentious about using a database to store data.  A database is an off-the-shelf program that stores data.  If that off-the-shelf solution can pay for itself in three years, then guaranteeing yourself a positive return on investment is a sound, concrete decision.

An object-oriented framework saves time, or it sucks and no one would use it.  That is the major benefit: saving time.  Come to that, most people don't view the language as the time saver but instead view the framework as the time saver.  Most people don't "pick OOP", they pick a framework that addresses a problem application domain.  There is nothing "abstract" about this benefit.  I put myself in the direct pathway of the consequences my decisions have.

I find the notion that polymorphism is arbitrarily beneficial to certain projects to be very "abstract" and also forcing a technology instead of a solution.  It makes it sound like there is a "Ghost in the Machine", when there is none.

Off-topic: Aren't you an adjunct professor at SUNY Potsdam?

Edward Potter <edwardpotter at gmail.com> wrote: When it get to this abstract level, just think of objects as cells &
functions as peptides carrying messages (variables) to hungry
mitochondria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrion) waiting to
be fed to make those cells work for you. If you have all your code
working correctly, you'll be able to Interconnect them all and you'll
get a Paris Hilton - or something like that. :-)

Then take 2 Prozac, and re-boot . . .

ed  (works for me)

the Blog: http://www.utopiaparkway.com
the Karma: http://www.coderswithconscience.com