[nycphp-talk] Some comments on the XML Talk

ali mohammad ali at vpproperty.com
Tue Oct 30 01:20:45 EDT 2007

Hi,

While I have not had the opportunity to listen in person to this great
talk about XML database, I did have the good fortune of going through
the slides after somebody recently posted the online links for the
slides.

At the risk of slightly sounding off topic (but it does base on
Kenneth's question on specific examples), I would like anybody's views
on the applicability of XML database to clinical databases where the
information that needs to be stored comes from a domain that is largely
undefined or unpredictable in advance (maybe the more precise term is
unstructured data but I am not too sure as I am amateur programmer
myself). I did have in the past developed clinical databases (data
captured from clinical trials) using the EAV model out of relational
tables. The queries turned out to be terribly slow so I was forced to
used a combination of true relational tables and EAV tables out of
hacked up relational tables. Even then, the performance levels sucked.

I would appreciate it if you can throw light on what would be ideal
alternatives (instead of just relational databases) to storing such
disparate information items. Can object oriented database such as the
commercial Cache be a solution? Or XML databases perhaps?

Thanks in advance,
Ali Mohammed.