[nycphp-talk] AJAX and State

Gary Mort bz-gmort at beezifies.com
Wed Sep 5 12:07:22 EDT 2007

tedd wrote:
> Another way of asking this question is, "Besides not triggering a
> refresh, what can ajax do that php can not?"

PHP cannot control the browser presentation, it can merely provide
static information to the browser.
Javascript can control the browser presentation, and it can be generated
by PHP
AJAX merely allows you to combine the functionality of javascript with
the dynamic data access of PHP(or any other CGI script) in order to put
the two together in a more dynamic fashion.  It has sparked some
innovations in presenting and packaging data generated by CGI that than
make the whole thing reusable(for example, frameworks which pull all the
dynamic data down to the server and then allow one to work offline and
then sync up to the server.  Of course, the curmudgeon in me would say
"well, besides using a web browser, what can this do that a Lotus Notes
client can't? " :-0 and the answer is it can be done without charging
hundreds of dollars per user.)

I see web browser applications slowly approaching the full power of a
Notes Application from over 5 years ago.  But they do it in a cross
platform, affordable manner.  Still, with notes I knew precisely what
functions would work on every system with a notes client plus had
certain levels of security unavailable with a browser without a lot of
work, so it has it's place in the corporate environment.