[nycphp-talk] ORM vs SQL: the ultimate showdown

Mark Armendariz lists at enobrev.com
Sun Sep 16 20:02:45 EDT 2007

Rob Marscher wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2007, at 3:24 PM, Mark Armendariz wrote:
>> Anyways, that's my take on SQL and ORM.  Both - with an easily
>> manipulated and portable meta language.
> Sounds pretty cool.  Ever thought of analyzing the queries used within
> an application and automatically generate (or suggest) indexes?  Seems
> like your system might have self-analyzing capabilities to be able to
> do that.
Working towards that as well.  Currently has some basic profiling
capabilities for finding the real nasty queries (reminiscent to
adodb's).   For the most part the multi-table queries tend to be pretty
tight as long as the indexes are already set up.  I've been considering
what it would take to parse an explain and make suggestions for some time.

The whole idea is something of a self-generating dao (or orm, i get the
concepts and then I get them mixed up) that quietly caches itself out of
existence over time, but sticks around for general maintenance when
needed.  I'm glad to see some interest.  Good motivation to get this
thing out in the world soon.

Mark