[nycphp-talk] AJAX and State

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Sat Sep 22 10:19:42 EDT 2007

Hi Elliotte:

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 08:19:01AM -0400, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> For basic I'd use encrypted connections only. Digest is fine in the
> "clear".

No HTTP auth method is okay in the clear.  Digest sends an MD5 hash as
the token.  While that doesn't tell me what your password is, unless I
figure it out via a reverse lookup database, I can just forge my request
headers to include the hash itself.

> >Plus I don't like the idea of keeping
> >authentication information in the browser.
>
> Tough. That's being done anyway.

Depends on what the user's settings are.

> >How is using a session id cookie "working against" the design of HTTP?
>
> Because HTTP is explicitly designed to be stateless and sessionless.
> See, for example, Sam Ruby's RESTful Web Services.

Passing your user name and password on each request is no different than
passing a session ID on each request.  They both indicate who you are.

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/