[nycphp-talk] Not-so-subtle attack on PHP

bz-gmort at beezifies.com bz-gmort at beezifies.com
Fri Sep 28 15:12:44 EDT 2007

John Campbell wrote:
> That makes sense to me, I have never considered using eleventy
> thousand views.  Is managing all of those views a problem?  Do you
> create the views on the fly, or are they "fixed" when you create the
> new user account?  How do you alter the views?

Dunno, I would assume it depends on the system.

I would imagine maintenance isn't that big of a deal, just like you can
alter a table, you can alter a view and since you can list out all the
views, it would be simple to script all that sort of thing.

The last time I used views was over 10 years ago on DB2.  Then I moved
to using light weight relational DB's like MySQL - which lacked the
features of an enterprise database, but also lacked the high hardware
requirements of one.  Now MySQL is slowly approaching the features of
enterprise databases, but it's a different time.  Memory and CPU are a
lot cheaper now than 10 years ago.

DB2 was interesting, as every table had an "owner" which defaulted to
the user who created it, but did not have to be.  If you ran a query and
just specified a table name, it assumed the userid running the query to
be the owner.

So we could create a view for every user with just the table/view
name(for example: friendsprofile) and it would automatically be treated
as username.friendsprofile.

Whereas for the general tables we would assign a generic "owner"(you
could also use different generic owners the way MySQL uses a prefix, so
instead of having prefix1_table, prefix2_table, prefix3_table we would
have prod.table, dev.table, test.table)