[nycphp-talk] Website Data Encryption tools

Joe Leo joeleo724 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 19:12:25 EDT 2008

Wow, I really appreciate the feedback and some of the many comments i am
getting to my original question. I ask my original question not so much I
have some secrecy of any kind of application. As I mentioned, I'm not much
of a programmer in practice. I'm just getting interest in the encryption
technology as a whole and since I have not really used any of them I wanted
to get an idea how effective they are.

Now the feedback with the questions and comments I am getting are good, in
that, they make me think why would I use it and to achieve what purpose.
What I've been hoping to gain from asking my question is then why & when to
use such encryption tool - especially, when hosting your data remotely by a
hosting provider.

My thought is if encryption techniques like TrueCrypt works - Why not use it
regardless who is your hosting provider. Or, having to consider questions
like who you trying to protect data from. I mean, when you buy a nice bran
new expensive car you have a key to lock the doors and some go further to
put in a car alarm or car tracking device. Who you're trying to prevent from
stealing your car is no brainer question to consider - IMO. One knows that
locking the door and/or having a car alarm is a deterrent - Though not 100%
guaranteed. Maybe my example is not the best but just trying to raise a
point.

In my question to deploy some encryption on my data would (help) minimize
people stealing private data - Why not use it, especially if there's not
much performance penalty.

David, regarding you comments below:

> So are you worried about encryption during uploading or about encryption
> while executing the scripts on the server and serving up content - or both?
> What other security measures did you include?

You've hit the right questions I am looking to understand. The answer is
both. From what I understand about a tool like TrueCrypt I can encrypt say
my webfolder (web site) and upload it to my hosting provider. And, what I am
trying to understand is can the encrypted data remain encrypted and still
serve content. Or, once I upload the encrypted data must I need to decrypt
it to serve the content? I am not concern about data being encrypted out to
the users browser. SSL takes care of that - right? So, if it is that I can
encrypt and it remains encrypt while serving content then this is not a bad
solution. And, of course one can take other measures like ssh to the server
to actually keep access to it secure.

joe