[nycphp-talk] Website Data Encryption tools

Joe Leo joeleo724 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 20:57:05 EDT 2008

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply and comments. The comments so far from the list has
enlightened me  a lot on this topic. And, I thank all for there comments!

The missing piece of info I guess I did not realize is that if I encrypt
some drive or part of it like folders or some system volume that I had to
have the decryption keys as part of it. I thought the keys was encrypted as
well. And, the only time it could be decrypted is by me.
So, If I wanted to modify and update the encrypted data I would then
download it back to my machine and decrypt it and make whatever changes and
upload it back to the server. While uploading and downloading the data it is
already in encrypted form.

And, my understanding was that new data that is saved/updated by users would
be encrypted on the fly. Encrypted data that leaves the server would be
decrypted BUT then with SSL only the user would see the requested data. This
was my understanding of what tools like TrueCrypt does. So, I think I'm
totally missing the point of the product.

For questions/comments about what kind of data I need to protect is hard to
answer as I don't have any specific data in mind. I'm more interested in
understanding the technology - regardless of data. But, to try and answer
that I would say any kind of typical web based application - but nothing
specific.

Joe