[nycphp-talk] OT: webmaster test

Brian O'Connor gatzby3jr at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 10:25:08 EDT 2008

Hello,

I think that the border question is a little specific.  I never memorize
order of parameters,  I learn the concepts behind it.  Knowing which
position comes first in a border-width command doesn't really demonstrate
your knowledge of css.

I think a better question would be something for inheritence of css, and set
up something with

.foo {
    font-size: 10px;
    color: #14191D;
}

    .foo .bar {
        font-size: 15px;
        text-decoration: underline;
     }

 // blah blah

What attributes will Hello World have on the screen?

correct answer being font-size 15px, underline, and color #14191D.

To get good programmers and designers, the trick is to not test them on
things like syntax.  I consider myself to have a strong command on css and I
would never know the answer to the question to your border problem, as it
really doesn't hold any meaning.  I take 1 minute out of my day to go to
www.w3schools.com and look up the syntax and I've got it.

For your programming question, I think someone without programming
experience could get that :)

I'm a big fan of the fizzbuzz question:

It's a very simple test that will quickly show to you if someone has basic
programming skills.

Hope that helps
- Brian

Brian O'Connor