[nycphp-talk] OT: webmaster test

Damion Hankejh (ingk) d at ingk.com
Mon Apr 14 12:36:52 EDT 2008

Fizzbuzz is a good test.  I would not hire a "programmer" if s/he failed to
solve Fizzbuzz in under 5 minutes in your target language(s).  I would also
allow for some minor syntax errors if the solution otherwise worked -
favoring logical thinking over an emphasis on syntax.  Also, while
implementing the modulus operator is more elegant, it is worth noting that
it is not required to solve Fizzbuzz.

Regarding CSS, the inheritance question will prove far more indicative of a
programmer's skill than the order of border attributes (syntax again).  It
requires a greater depth of CSS understanding, while Google (and perhaps
del.icio.us) has become the ultimate digital cheat sheet for syntax and I do
not think developers should be slighted for leveraging them.  I also like
the inline vs. stylesheet question as it demonstrates an important grasp of
style overriding.

--

Hankejh, ingk.com