[nycphp-talk] OT: webmaster test

André Pitanga andre at pitanga.org
Mon Apr 14 13:56:52 EDT 2008

Hey Guilherme Blanco,
> My last job appliance I had 8h to write a full working application of
> an address book, with an employee at my side looking at any line I was
> writing.
> Ah... I had the possibility to use anything I wanted.
> The data source was an XML file, no app spec, at least 2 views (table
> of all cards and cards view).
> The test analised comment ratio, oo level and usability.

This for me would be the ultimate test for a web programmer, specially
the attention to comment ratio, etc.

Was there a time limit? I guess I would need at least 1-2 hours.  (I'm
not too keen on pulling data from XML nodes by heart. It would be easier
for me to pull it from a CSV.)

What makes the webmaster position interesting is that you kinda need to
be a triple threat: HTML/CSS/front-end stuff + coding (php,
actionscript, javascript, etc) + basic sysadmin stuff (at least FTP,
htaccess, etc.)

So if we emphasize programming too much do we leave out front-end and
server stuff??

-André