[nycphp-talk] OT: webmaster test

Jake McGraw jmcgraw1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 15:37:27 EDT 2008

I wasn't out to dissuade anyone from utilizing some kind of pseudo
code testing, I'm just trying to offer an alternative point of view,
the receiving end of interviews (interviewee if you will).

In my, admittedly limited experience, I've found company interviews
that start, contain, or end with, "Hi! Here's a computer / piece of
paper, you'll have 45 minutes to complete this exercise consisting
almost entirely of php.net/[insert function name here]", represents a
company on the path to fail, one which I ended up in because I didn't
know any better, two I rejected offers from.

Here's my point of view: if you (as a recruiter) can come up with
nothing better than a rehash of references and a test of memorization
as the gateway for a new hire, then what kind of quality can I expect
in the rest of the company? Just as everyone here is putting the
emphasis on finding the right candidate, weeding out the weak ones,
I'd like to offer the idea that maybe each candidate is trying to find
the right company, and that puts you (the interviewer) on the spot.

I'm not trying to leave you with the impression that Millennials are
ingrates (compared to what, Gen-Xers?), but that there are many
options available to us, applying for a job is trivial thanks to the
internet/head hunters, and supply (of us) is limited. I think that you
would be doing your company a disservice if you didn't consider this
before giving a candidate a test that makes them reconsider their
choice to apply (or even showup) by insulting their intelligence.

- jake