[nycphp-talk] OT: webmaster test

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Mon Apr 14 18:32:56 EDT 2008

At 10:07 AM -0400 4/14/08, André Pitanga wrote:
>So, we're hiring a new webmaster here at work
>and I was tasked with producing a simple
>technical test. The person is supposed to have
>two years experience as a web dev. There's three
>parts: html, css, and webmaster questions. What
>do you think?
>(bonus: I'll tell you what my manager thought)

I hate test like that and probably wouldn't take
it. It doesn't give you any indication of the
persons abilities and is more likely to show your
own shortcomings.

I would rather ask a simple question like "Impress me" and listen.

If has online work, then have him show it.

If he has a list of past clients, then supply the urls.

But then again, you have to know enough to know
how to judge what's correct and current.

Instead, why not instead hire one of us to
interview your candidates? For those of us who
know, it's pretty easy to spot the ones who know
what they are doing.

Cheers,

tedd
--