[nycphp-talk] Re: OT: webmaster test

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Tue Apr 15 10:07:41 EDT 2008

Kristina Anderson wrote:
> This goes back to my point about the status of the profession --  if
> we're being compared to cooks and service technicians, you know times
> are going to be rough for us.  I'd rather be compared to a lawyer...and
> make closer to what they make...what we do is no less complex.

Then you do not know what personal chefs make. Most of them have salaries that
rival that of senior developers, if not top them. There are also various kinds
of personal chefs. Some have one customer and are available 24x7, others have
multiple customers and do the food shopping for them as well as prepare meals
that can be reheated easily or it just happens that they manage to dish dinner
at one place and then handily make it to the next one in time.
Besides that,  I know a few lawyers that make less than I do for twice the
amount of work. In regards to service technicians or supporters in general,
they are absolutely undervalued. Developers make software so that QA can test
it, sales can sell it, and support can support it. the group that spends the
most time with customers is support. Why would you want the least paid
employees be the face of your company? And the developer is dead in the water
without the service tech, but not the other way around. From that perspective
developers should get paid low wages and get the dirty parking spots in the
back of the lot. But I guess that adds to your point that being a lawyer is
preferred, especially since in a judicial system like the american one you
have job security like nothing else.

David