[nycphp-talk] webmaster test (update)

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Tue Apr 15 10:20:48 EDT 2008

>tedd wrote:
>>No, I had not read that -- but the article drives home the point I
>>was making in that it's very difficult to test a person's ability
>>to program.
>
>And it is definitely language specific. Tackling a problem in PHP
>may be way easier than using Assembler.

True, and assembler is easier than machine -- which I've done.

But after all is said and done the key is being able to vision things
in a certain way that is not typical for the majority of people.

>That is probably true for the pure logic, but I tried pretty much
>any programming environment I could get my hands on and I failed in
>all but two. One was the now defunct VB6 and the other one is PHP. I
>tried Java and C/C++ and they are just way too complicated.

All complications can be resolve in time. If you work with it long
enough, you'll see the commonality between all languages.

>>Some of the top programmers I ever met, had no formal education.
>>Explain that.
>
>The top programmers understand the business and therefore know the
>expectations. -snip-

Now you're talking about the definition of a "top programmer" and on
that, we could discus for ages.  :-)

>That written, I really should get back to work....

Same here -- nice discussion.

Cheers,

tedd
--