[nycphp-talk] Re: OT: webmaster test

Peter Sawczynec ps at sun-code.com
Wed Apr 16 10:13:38 EDT 2008

I would posit that there has been a tipping point in all programming and
related fields including webmastering.

That the days of stringing together some solid text pages that all ran
off a little recycled personal server that laid unsecured on the floor
under your desk are over and the content you served has basically
anecdotal info about stuff.

Today the internet has become a commerce channel, a medical tool, a
financial conduit, a personal diary/finance/calendar life organizer, an
entertainment machine, the defacto news bringer, the banking network, an
education tool.

So whether working on nuclear tools, ecommerce tools or personal
calendar tools -- there is nothing left on the internet any more that
isn't a database driven, entertainment/financial/medical/planning
conduit of tremendous personal import to millions of people.

The pervasive need for accuracy, precision, truth, ethics and privacy is
through the roof.

I would still agree with Dr. LeJeune, other industries (even chefing)
have schools and egregiously difficult accreditations that through trial
by fire the vast majority of participants have agreed to and come to the
vital conclusion that we need standards.

If I could wave a wand there would be association accreditations for
programming that were industry and academically recognized.

If I were running a financial institution with interactive financial
tools that reach in to millions of peoples bank accounts, I would be
damn straight strict about the quality, aptitude and proven ethics and
skills of my workers. I think that needs to be a fact today or get out
of this business because I and a lot of consumers depend quite blindly
every day that there really is some type of morality and honest purpose,
proper coordination and genuine financial skill behind all the tools we
use on the internet every day.

We need standards. One day there will yet be some massive financial
blowup where someone is going to learn that some interest calculating
script in an international money market fund was off by 1/100ths of a
penny on 33% of transactions and accidentally over 16 years time over
$400,000,000 in interest earnings were never applied to account holders.
And one of them will be a senator who lost $1,400,000 and then what?

What incident are you waiting for?

Peter