[nycphp-talk] Re: OT: webmaster test

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Wed Apr 16 13:46:39 EDT 2008

You have a valid point about the state certs...which could be
problematic...however, I do take exception with your characterization
of liberal arts courses and degrees as "garbage"...as a non-CS major
who is now in the field and also as someone who believes STRONGLY in
the "non-vocational, liberal arts model of post-secondary education"
(i.e. the university is NOT a vocational school).

> Kristina Anderson wrote:
> > Industry certifications are all well and good but state-certified
> > professional licenses would be a huge step forward.
> >
> > Just think how cool it would be to have a "NYS Licensed Code
Jockey"
> > certificate in a huge frame on your office wall :)
> >
> > Not to mention the economic & lobbying power that state
professional
> > organizations have.
>
> Like it is with electricians? No way! An electrician licensed in Mass
is not
> allowed to install a wall outlet in NYS. I wonder why? Are the
outlets
> different? Does NYS use a totally different form of electrical power?
So with
> a state license for coders you can code PHP in NYS, but nobody is
allowed to
> run that on an out-of-state server?
>
> Certs are something to get hired into a position, but they have the
advantage
> to be more specialized. Unlike a bachelor's degree. 2/3rd of the
study time
> are wasted for English, history, art, and whatever else non-major
garbage the
> universities make students take. Some universities may be better than
others
> and thus offer better bachelor programs, but the most are nothing
more than
> mainly catching up what high school didn't bother to teach. I really
don't get
> why a bachelor student has to read "The Great Gatsby" for the nth
time when
> majoring in CS.
> I got by BS from a german university and 30 courses and labs were on-
topic,
> with 3 electives venturing into less subject related areas. I took
mass
> communication, work safety and technical English. I went on to
getting an MS
> at a US university and there was really only one course that didn't
consist of
> brainless busy work, but challenged one's mind and had one think.
Without
> doubt, that was the course I learned most.
>  From that view point I think certifications are a good thing, but it
depends.
> There are certs for QA folks and tech writers and I think the vast
majority of
> people working in those trades (it's not a profession, isn't it?)
don't have
> any and don't plan on getting them. Especially for tech writing,
getting a
> cert is something recommended for those who were car mechanics before
or horse
> racing judges that didn't make it into FEMA.
> Certs are a proof that you are capable of systematic learning and
performing
> when needed, just like a bachelor, master, or doctoral degree. It
doesn't say
> anything how qualified one is for the job and thus shouldn't be
generally a
> requirement unless loss of life and property are directly dependent
on that
> accuracy of the work. So having a national cert for an electrician is
OK,