[nycphp-talk] Why IT Sucks

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Thu Apr 17 12:20:37 EDT 2008

A note on this thread in general:
Please keep it clean and the one-line responses to a minimum, or take them
off-list - there's too much traffic for posts that don't have real content.

Hi Kristina, et al,

Wow, what a thread... I remember a similar one years ago, and obviously
these types of issues are still preeminent - regardless of the economy.

I agree Kristina - there is a mismatch between the underlying importance of
IT workers (notably developers, architectures, etc) and their recognition,
reward, and appreciation (yes, cry for us, Argentina).

As many of us probably do, I have an ear on the start-up, entrepreneurial
and "Silicon Alley" crowd as it's often coined.  What's always surprising,
and frankly somewhat amusing, is that through the technology start-up
process - concept development, prototyping, funding, implementation - the
technology people are often secondary, and even trivialized.  Typically the
importance of the technology - and the technical aspects of the project -
are given only grunt recognition, not much beyond that of a ditch digger (no
offense the ditch diggers on the list).  Then, once a company enters a more
mature phase - like revenue - these same companies now struggle to find good
technical talent in order to scale and sustain themselves.

That said, there are consistently good looking jobs out there - just look at
the NYPHP-Jobs list.  Anyone who really wanted a good job, could get one -
the PHP job market is extremely tight - and even in this rocky economy, a
good developer can call their price.  And if you're dealing with one of
those start-ups that was annoying last year, like in any job market,
sometimes you have to swallow your pride.