[nycphp-talk] About Formalizing an Enterprise PHP and the PHP+Developer

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Tue Apr 22 12:34:40 EDT 2008

>I am still in the camp that PHP programmers like realtors,
> financial planners should have an association approved path and tool
set
> that ultimately will have more knowable and strongly negotiable pay
> scale.

YES!!  Yes yes yes.

Realistically speaking, though, nobody is going to like being "strongly
urged" to use a particular framework or a particular code base.  And
that's cool -- because we will always find ways to make the programming
process "our own" and do it the way we feel is best, on a case by case
basis.

But as Peter pointed out, the cert is not really meant to lock us in
to "standards", it's important so that we are able to say "I'm a
certified PHP programmer and certified programmers get $XYZ per hour"
and have the power to back that up when the suit types decide we might
be a cost sink, or that we don't need a lot of money because "don't
programmers all wear stained T shirts and exist on Pizza and computer
games..."!   [N.B. It's quite true that I do eat a lot of pizza and
enjoy playing computer games, especially the antique arcade variety,
but that's not ALL I need!.]

With regard to Zend, I haven't used it yet but did some cursory reading
on it today after seeing this thread...and it looks very interesting.
Of particular value, I think, is the session & application state
handling (which is always a huge chore and can lead to mental agony
over "the very best way to handle it in this case") -- standardizing
this into best practice could be huge.  I'd like to get a chance to
work with some of this, and also the JSON/AJAX stuff ...I had an
opportunity to work with JSON a couple years ago but not since then.

I did use PEAR::SOAP recently while working with some Amazon AWS stuff
and found the code to be very understandable and well documented.
Ultimately we discovered we did not need the PEAR::SOAP & could use
PHP's built in SOAP, but I would definitely recommend this SOAP API for
its ease of use.

--Kristina

bounces at lists.nyphp.org]
> On Behalf Of Scott Mattocks
> Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:47 AM
> To: NYPHP Talk
> Subject: Re: [nycphp-talk] About Formalizing an Enterprise PHP and the
> PHP+Developer
>
> Peter Sawczynec wrote:
> > It seems we (I mean PHP programmers) have all the tools and
> instruments
> > already at our fingertips for more formalizing the study and
> application
> > of PHP, we'd just have to agree to ring our wagons around what we've
> got
> > on hand.
>
> Instead of trying to force a few applications, repositories and
people
> into positions they are not ready for, would it not be better to
> organize efforts to contribute to those which are best suited to take
> those positions in the near future? A defacto standard is much more
> powerful than an appointed standard.
>
> Instead of trying to convince everyone that PEAR is the best place to
> get reusable code, why not contribute to PEAR and remove all doubt?
> Instead of forcing everyone to sign up for a proprietary
certification