[nycphp-talk] About Formalizing an Enterprise PHP and thePHP+Developer

Peter Sawczynec ps at sun-code.com
Wed Apr 23 19:39:25 EDT 2008

There is nothing silly in engendering some conversation around promoting
an updatable cert that allows PHP to be constantly guiding programmers
up to and in to the known needed skills most highly anticipated in the
market today.

I would like to clarify:

1) I originally suggested to simply use the Zend cert

2) That I said that I felt that it behooves us as a professional group
of PHP programmers to have some standardized way to measure skill set to
clarify the career path for programmers and to give hiring managers some
kind of benchmark to start from

3) I am not proposing that the cert be mandatory. It would be an
optional -- but highly recommended and PHP endorsed -- step that gives a
programmer a method to demonstrate his knowledge according to a known
standard

Use the Zend cert. But PHP has to get behind it. And persuade it into
the hands of programmers/managers right from the get go.

I did my time. Read the books, made a library, read PDFs on my PDA while
I commuted, worked all night, fetched arcane answers from obscure blogs.

My experience says it would have helped to have a clearer professional
knowledge path set out.

But if we want to leave the industry as a bad lands of high plains
drifters and men with names who guard and protect their craft to the
exception of new comers then hey that is the way it stays and all enjoy.

But, I feel that if this PHP craft wants manage its identity. Plan ahead
for a future tightly integrated to more and more demanding
digital/internet alert businesses, then we should polish the methodology
of the tool set somewhat.

Pero, hombres, esto es solo mis dos centavos y usted debe construir sus
propios sueños.

Pedro