[nycphp-talk] using PHP mail function on Windows server?

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Wed Apr 23 20:25:24 EDT 2008

Kristina Anderson wrote:
> Hi everyone --
>
> My current client's app is a PHP 4 site running on a Windows box (don't
> ask...I have no idea why).

Because it is a stable setup and typically outperforms a LAMPP stack. I use
this since day one and even before my PHP time for both development and
production use.

> I'm trying to use the mail() function and
> the mail isn't cooperating.
>
> (Two things that I noticed in phpinfo() are that Internal Sendmail
> Support for Windows is enabled and the Zend engine is installed.

I never got the mail() function to work right on Windows. There are tools
around. I did try once the Unix Utilities from Luckasoft (get them here:
http://luckasoft.com/download/UUtils_setup.exe). It is a freeware package for
Windows that mimics sendmail. It has a GUI configuration program and accepts
the same shell command format as known from Unix. But since this is a client's
box installing extra stuff is probably the least desireable approach.

> So maybe I could/should be using another method to send the mails, or
> there is a trick that I'm not aware of that I need to use to get this
> to work?)

Well, there are other means. You may even google for the CLI of Outlook
assuming it is setup and configured right.

> It's not necessarily super high volume but we will be sending a
> significant amount of automated emails to registered people on the site.
>
> Thanks for any help...

Well, I guess once it works volume becomes a concern only when you send a lot
of messages.

Sorry, I'm not excessively useful here.

David