[nycphp-talk] About Formalizing an Enterprise PHP and thePHP+Developer

Tim Lieberman tim_lists at o2group.com
Wed Apr 23 22:23:39 EDT 2008

Following up on my own post, just to be clear -- I think a certification
exam for web developers is impossible. And/or the fact that you know PHP
inside and out doesn't make you worth anything on a real project. You
can't reduce the breadth and complexity to a multiple-choice test.  Such
a setup is too easily gamed.

What might be interesting would be some kind of jury system.  If there
were a 4-ish person jury consisting of, I dunno, Steve Manes, Tom
Riemer, Jack Slocum, and Chris Corbyn , who would review a bunch of
"thesis-like" stuff you put together, and then hop on a chat and
interrogate you for an hour before saying "yeah, this guy/gal is pro or
slow" -- then I might pay attention to that, when hiring you.

So who wants to help recruit some recognizable names, and start selling
"shots" at such a cert.  Maybe 3 or 5 $k to sit in front of the jury ...
I mean, you've got to pay these juries well.  These are busy people.

-Tim