[nycphp-talk] About Formalizing an Enterprise PHP and the PHP+ Developer

Tom Melendez tom at supertom.com
Thu Apr 24 10:29:09 EDT 2008

So, everyone knows what I think of this thread and the one preceding
it regarding testing and such.  I won't go there.

However, now that some specs have been laid as to what some employers
want and some ideas for the implementation, I challenge everyone (or
anyone interested) to put some numbers and policy ideas behind it.

1.  Potential employers have spec'ed out what they want (list below,
for example) and how to prove it (test, jury system).  Well, how much
are you willing to pay?  Candidates, how much do you need to do this?
Is it worth it?  IMO, the "jury aspect" easily makes this $150K+perks,
benefits as you are greatly narrowing the available talent pool

2. How does a developer who goes through this process have their
investment of time and money protected?  So, I just spent 5k on the
jury process and passed.  Are companies allowed to hire non-certified
developers?  If so, then what is the value of my investment?  If they
are not, sounds like a union to me.  And if it is a union, don't you
think that it would just force more work overseas as unlike
contractors and electricians, our work is not bound geographically?
Do we then need state and national regulation to prevent this?

People seem really passionate about this idea - so lets flesh it out
and see if it really works, then.

Finally, to the employers, if you wouldn't mind, I would be interested
in hearing about some of the horror stories that have driven you to
this.  I want to hear the scenarios that you feel this testing and
policy (my word, not yours) fixes.  For example, did you have someone
on staff that during a "crunch time" didn't know how to use cURL while
a big client was on the phone?  That kind of thing.

Tom
http://www.liphp.org