[nycphp-talk] Embrace Dynamic PHP

Austin Smith netaustin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 19:34:50 EDT 2008

You know, I feel much the same way about the Zend components... reference
implementations of important patterns, for sure, which I've enjoyed using on
Big Important Projects but they hurt my head to use, what with the
Zend_Package_Class_Subclass naming, the zillion page manual...

Generally, though, as a RoR/Symfony/Django/Zope/Drupal veteran, I'm tired of
these monolithic frameworks. If it needs a book, it's too much for me these
days. I love (usually) Drupal for what it is, but websites built in Drupal
are built _in_ Drupal, and the language happens to be PHP. Same with
Symfony. I think CodeIgniter feels fairly PHP-ish, but for something with
supposedly no learning curve, it's still a bit steep.

Further, I've long wanted to write a very simple set of flexible helper
functions for PHP newbies so they don't blow their brains out with things
like mysql_query("insert into blog_entries values(0, "{$_POST['title']}",
"{$_POST['body']}");

You know, provide simple active record, super simple controllers, no
configuration, lightweight templates, pack it into one file to include in a
single front controller, and forget about it. Plus a strong mission to avoid
bloat... and that's it. Everything else could be a plugin, including the
automatic admin architecture that was cool two years ago, but which I find
pretty useless these unless you really _are_ setting up a CD library
management system, the user management subsystem, blah blah blah.

Web.py, but for PHP, you know? And we could just use PHP for templating
anyways, so it'd be lighter and simpler still.

I may just build this.