[nycphp-talk] using PHP mail function on Windows server?

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Sat Apr 26 11:11:22 EDT 2008

Mike -- apparently there isn't one automatically created for the
account and I've been instructed to create one myself.  I also
uncovered some other settings that are required for the file upload
which need to be set, such as upload_tmp_dir ... this should be a fun
weekend.

The thing that confuses me is that the documentation says that PHP will
first look for the ini file in the directory where the PHP script is
being called, and THEN look for it in the root directory.  Does this
mean that I can have more than one ini file in my application...or?

I think the best place to have it would be in the root directory where
it can be accessed by any scripts...

> Hello Kristina,
>
> Friday, April 25, 2008, 3:16:55 AM, you wrote:
>
> > Hi Paul,
>
> > Thanks.  We are on PHP 4.x and Windows 2003 server and looking
through
> > the directories through FTP, there doesn't appear to be an existing
> > PHP.INI file...the tech support is directing my client in what
settings
> > to configure in PHP.INI (Port 25 and STMP=localhost and so
on)...I'm
> > assuming for PHP 4.x I have to create this PHP.INI file?
>
> > Is it worth trying the below on a 4.x platform?
>
> > --Kristina
>
> >> Hi Kristina
> >>
> >> I was wrestling with this problem a few months ago, I remember
having
> > to do
> >> some fiddling with the PHP.INI. Anyway the coding below works for
> > WINDOWS
> >> and PHP 5
> >>

> >> <?php session_start; ob_start;
> >>     ini_set("SMTP", "smtp.isp.com");
> >>     ini_set("smtp_port", "25");
> >>     ini_set("sendmail_from", admin at isp.com);
> >>
> >>    $to  = "johndoe at hotmail.com";
> >>    $subject  = "Enter your subject here";
> >>
> >>    $message = "YES IT WORKED @ LONG LAST
> >>                         I can put anything I like here";
> >>

> >>    $from  = "FROM: admin at isp.com ";
> >>    mail("$to", "$subject", "$message", "$from");
> >>
> >>    echo "The email has been sent";
> >> ?>
> >>
> >> Paul

function