[nycphp-talk] using PHP mail function on Windows server - update

mikesz at qualityadvantages.com mikesz at qualityadvantages.com
Tue Apr 29 23:40:11 EDT 2008

Hello Kristina,

Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 4:04:40 AM, you wrote:

> Hi Anthony -- well, we've definitely made the decision to switch from
> WAMP to LAMP.  There are definitely plusses and minuses on each side,
> for sure.  Thank heavens, since this is an externally hosted site, I
> don't need to be a Linux genius (now THAT would be an issue)!  All of
> my previous experience developing PHP apps was with LAMP.  So this has
> been a learning experience for me.

> The issues I found with WAMP are:

> -- poor understanding on the part of sys admins of where the modified
> php.ini file should live, and why, and how it affects various functions
> of PHP.  Consequently a huge testing cycle and anxiety about future
> issues that might arise with new code.

> -- Non existent debug messages (i.e. blank white screens rather than
> semi helpful line number messages)...although that could have been a
> setting that we neglected to unearth & configure.

> -- Completely erratic performance with the mail() function and since
> this is a critical part of our app (13 different emails going out
> either after site visits or at various timed intervals to hopefully a
> ton of people who register), this was a huge concern for me; and

> -- weird issues with the $_FILES array behavior and more fun trying to
> get php.ini to work right for that.

> So maybe I'm just a wimp but back to LAMP I go.  I figure I've got
> enough headaches just trying to roll out the app and make sure it's
> working right without all of the above.

> --Kristina

>> LAMP environments, you're not missing much... :)
>>
>> --
>> Anthony Wlodarski
>> PHP/MySQL Developer
>> www.thrillist.com
>> 560 Broadway, Suite 308
>> New York, NY 10012
>> p 646.274.2435
>> f 646.557.0803

>> NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
>> http://www.nyphpcon.com
>>
>> Show Your Participation in New York PHP
>> http://www.nyphp.org/show_participation.php

> NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
> http://www.nyphpcon.com

> http://www.eset.com

Are you / were you using WAMP5? some other WAMP package?

I have been running WAMP5 on my XP Windows box for a long time and the
differences are not that great between it and my LAMP Hosting site (at
least for my development work, I do development stuff on XP, transfer
it to my Linux server and it just works, maybe other stuff that I don't care
about is different?), though the php.ini in WAMP5 is located in the
Apache/bin folder as are many of the PHP dlls ( I has a huge RTFM
issue with that one when I first installed it) folder which is significantly
different from other WAMP packages I have run.

--
Best regards,
 mikesz                            mailto:mikesz at qualityadvantages.com