[nycphp-talk] [OT] SEO and Meta Data

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Wed Aug 6 19:24:28 EDT 2008

It is my firm belief that attempts to game the keywords meta tag
demonstrate nothing more than a failure to understand SEO. The keyword
meta tag has some relevance in some search marketing situations, but
there is no reason for it not to simply list a small number of relevant
keywords separated with commas. Of course there are always hacks and
exploits, so if you enjoy chasing those ignore my comment because I know
of no such opportunity with this.

As for penalties, stuffing your keyword meta tag shouldn't hurt you at
all, but it might earn you a reputation for not understanding SEO. I
know some SEOs who use the keywords meta tag to mislead their competitors.

As for comments, yes that can earn a serious response from search
engines. Not so much because it works, but because it demonstrates an
obvious intent to game the system. please don't tell that realtor. It's
better for all of us if those spamming realtors stay out of the
legitimate search results.

Happily submitted......

john andrews
SEO and competitive web consultant in Seattle
blogging on issues of Competitive Webmastering at www.johnon.com

Peter Sawczynec ps-at-sun-code.com |nyphp MAIN ONE dev/internal group