[nycphp-talk] [OT] notebook recommendations - time to retire the Thinkpad t42p... anyone know Lenovo's t61p?

Dan Cech dcech at phpwerx.net
Sat Aug 9 09:39:53 EDT 2008

Justin Dearing wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 10:25 PM, Michael B Allen <ioplex at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 7:14 PM, inforequest <1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com> wrote:
>>> On the (excellent) advice of the PHP community almost 4 years ago, I bought
>>> a Thinkpad t42p. I still love it but it's time to plan retirement.
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend the Lenovo t61p as a replacement, or is there something
>>> clearly better? No, I'm not going to switch to a mac. Thanks.
 >
> I personally like the lattitude D820 my company gives me to use. The
> D830 models are out and I don't think much has changed other than
> ram/cpu configurations.

I've been using the now discontinued Z61m for a year or 2 now, and I've
been very happy with it.  The only issue I've had is that the built-in
bluetooth is very flaky, but that seems to only affect the z-series.

I used to have a Dell D830 as well (was given it by a company I was
doing work for), and imho compared to the ThinkPad it was junk.  The
keyboard in particular was springy and the whole thing felt more like a
BestBuy $600 special than a real business machine.

Right now I'd probably go with something like a T400 2767-R3U or
2765-T7U, though if you can wait a month or so the 2767-R9U looks like a
very nice machine.

Those are both 14.1" 1440x900 models, but I think the reduction in bulk
is worth the loss of screen real estate vs the 15.4" 1680x1050 on the
T500 and my Z61m.

For those not familiar with it, you can find a PDF with the complete
details of every standard ThinkPad configuration here:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/tabook.pdf

Dan