[nycphp-talk] Switching Forth and Back Between HTTP and HTTPS

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Mon Aug 11 03:18:33 EDT 2008

John Campbell jcampbell1-at-gmail.com |nyphp MAIN ONE dev/internal group
use| wrote:

>On 8/10/08, Michael B Allen <ioplex at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>True. But POST-ing while also transitioning between HTTP and HTTPS is
>> not terribly common.
>>

>There are cases when you want this...  imagine an "express buy"
>button.  It would post the item data to an https page.  You are right
>that it isn't terribly common.
>
>Just out of curiosity, is this going to be your primary method to set
>http vs https, or is this just a fallback in case there is a bad link
>somewhere?
>

>> > I would also use a 301 redirect in this case.
>>
>>Why is that exactly? I think I agree with you, but I just want to make
>> sure I know why 301 would be better.
>>

>The short answer is, 301 passes google page rank, 302 does not.
>
>-John C

I'm not sure page rank is an issue here, as you probably want to
restrict search engines from spidering/indexing your secure pages
(especially any shopping cart stuff that would make for meaningless
duplicate junk). If you've told the search engines that https is
off-limits, then who cares what sort of redirect you use?

Which brings me to my initial point about moving the cert to a
subdomain... good luck working out the details of that "tell search
engines not to index the https stuff" with your cert on your primary
domain.  Remember that to search engines,
http://www.example.com/robots.txt is a different file than
httpS://www.example.com/robots.txt, and you will have to manage that.

-=john andrews