[nycphp-talk] calculating state taxes?

wkamm at rvyriptide.org wkamm at rvyriptide.org
Wed Aug 13 20:06:51 EDT 2008

Yes, physical presence is what matters.  When I order from Newegg for
example, they charge me sales tax.  I live in NJ, and the item usually
ships from their warehouse in NJ.  Here is their explanation of which
states they charge sales tax in:

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/FAQDetail.aspx?Module=2

They only charge sales tax if the item is going to California, New Jersey,
New York, or Tennessee, even though we know that many other states have
sales taxes.  That's because Newegg has a physical presence in those 4
states.

And don't forget that the NJ sales tax law changed within the past year or
so, and shipping charges are now taxable.  In the past they weren't.

Finally, an interesting article about Amazon and the states they charge
sales tax in:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=5302

Bill