[nycphp-talk] calculating state taxes?

wkamm at rvyriptide.org wkamm at rvyriptide.org
Wed Aug 13 21:06:57 EDT 2008

I'm no tax accountant either, but it seems to me that the location of your
dropshipper is irrelevant.  He is not the one selling the product to your
customer.  He is selling it to you.  And you don't have to pay sales tax
to him because you should have a state resale certificate, making you
exempt from having to pay sales taxes.  And, IMO, the location of your web
server is meaningless.  I've never heard of that being an issue.

So, the only transaction that could possibly be taxable is between you (in
Michigan) and the end customer (in California).  Unless Michigan law
requires you to collect sales tax on something sold to a person in
California, and I doubt that is true, no sales tax gets collected at all
here.