[nycphp-talk] Accessing non-existent array elements ok?

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 11:26:21 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Kenneth Downs <ken at secdat.com> wrote:
> Michael B Allen wrote:
>>
>> I seem to recall getting a warning trying to access array elements
>> that did not exist but I can't seem to trigger that issue right now.
>>
>> The following code:
>>
>>  <?php
>>  $a = array('a' => 'b');
>>  $result = $a['c'];
>>  var_dump($result);
>>
>> yields the following:
>>
>>  $ php -f t.php
>>

> Michael, I found the following routine to be very useful dealing with
> arrays:
>
> function a(&$array, $key,$default='') {
>  if (isset($array[$key])) return $array[$key];
>  else return $default;
> }
>
> This allows you to code up simpler unconditional routines with code like:
>
> $value = a($myArray,$key,'AccetableDefault');

That's pretty much what I'm doing right now:

  function _array_val($a, $k, $d = null) {
      if (is_array($a) && array_key_exists($k, $a))
          return $a[$k];
      if (func_num_args() == 3)
          return $d;
      throw new Exception("No such array key: $k");
  }

I was just hoping to streamline things further.

Thanks,
Mike

--
Michael B Allen