[nycphp-talk] Open Source CMS for PHP5

Mark Armendariz lists at enobrev.com
Tue Aug 19 12:48:25 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:28 PM, bzcoder <bzcoder at bzcode.com> wrote:
> Edward Potter wrote:
>>
>> Ummm, can some one tell me what I CAN'T do with Wordpress 2.6?

Although I'm a big fan of Wordpress as well, there's no p5 strict
version of WP either.

> I was assuming he meant a strict Content Management System, ie save content,
> set publishing dates, publish/unpublish it all under strict PHP5 rules.
>
> Not the rest of the framework that a decent CMS needs or wants[user
> managements, users and acl's, add ons and extenstion management,
> templates/skins, etc]
>
> Something one could drop into an existing site without having to migrate all
> the existing users, synch the systems, and hack authorization levels between
> them.

Exactly right.  I was planning to start with an already available open
source CMS - likely with plenty of generalized bells and whistles
already available - and the idea was that I'd likely modify some
things, but I wanted to keep modifications as minimal as possible.
This is what twisted my shorts with Drupal 5 is the amount of
modifications I had to get my last project to meet spec (all without
my beloved p5 strict and if I recall without even being able to rely
on warnings and notices either - yuck!!).

Otherwise, I would have been out looking for an open source framework,
which is something I'm actually in the process of now for another
project which has the requirement of an Open Source framework - this
research interests me quite a bit more than the CMS search.

Fortunately, it seems I've some decent options in the framework arena.
 Looking forward to playing with Solar (thanks for the suggestion, Mr
Jones), Symphony and Code Igniter.  I was looking forward to some
Cake, but... well, you know.

Mark