[nycphp-talk] [OT] Voting

Steve Manes smanes at magpie.com
Wed Aug 27 12:21:14 EDT 2008

Ajai Khattri wrote:
> I think a lot of prominent geeks already said the machines were not secure
> without some kind of hardcopy audit trail. But this government has a habit
> of ignoring experts in anything (e.g. can you say "DMCA"? ).

I'm on a political list with a bunch of technogeeks.  After the 2004
election, we developed an idea for a hybrid compromise of computer +
paper trail.

Your vote is recorded electronically with a UUID on a paper punched
receipt.  The voter can see who he just voted for.  He then passes 1-n
read-only stations on his way out where his vote is read, recorded and
archived redundantly by each of the political parties and by any
watchdog groups like LOWV.  Each station would be built by a different
manufacturer.  It displays the vote to the voter where he confirms it.
If all detectors agree on the vote, it's locked in.  If the vote is
invalidated by any of them then the voter casts a standard paper ballot
for hand counting.  Otherwise, he drops his receipt in a box on the way
out.  At the end of the day, the data from all machines is read and
compared for accuracy.  If there are any discrepancies, the ID-encoded
receipt is retrieved for manual counting.

Or something like that.