[nycphp-talk] [OT] Voting

Ajai Khattri ajai at bitblit.net
Thu Aug 28 23:01:07 EDT 2008

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, David Krings wrote:

> And directly voting over any law is not what defines a democracy, although I
> cannot think of any place other than the USA and its states where popular vote
> is often used for deciding what becomes law or not.

Huh? Most parliamentary systems involve voting on legislation, for
example, just like here, laws have to pass through two houses inthe
UK before they become law. In some ways its worse here because for
example, you dont have national referendums on important national issues.
So one could say that people have less say in the decision making process
in this country than many others.

Parliamentary debate means having to stand up and face your critics and
opponents. You just dont have that in this country - King Bush doesn't
have to answer to anyone. Did I say king? Oops...  I guess it feels more
like a monarchy to me.

--
Aj.