[nycphp-talk] [OT] Voting

bzcoder bzcoder at bzcode.com
Fri Aug 29 10:09:39 EDT 2008

Randal Rust wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Ajai Khattri <ajai at bitblit.net> wrote:
>

>> Parliamentary debate means having to stand up and face your critics and
>> opponents. You just dont have that in this country - King Bush
>>

> OK, can someone put a stop to this? This has gone well beyond OT, and
> way off of the original topic, which I believe was something to the
> effect of why can't we develop a reliable voting system.

But this thread was a perfect example.  Someone asked why and it
derailed into 50 thousand conversations, none of which have anything to
do with PHP.

So, to bring it back to PHP, what is your preferred method for counting
votes on the internet when you allow non registered/anonymous users to vote?

1 IP 1 Vote?
1 Vote = 1 Cookie so you can't vote again?
Collect and confirm email address to vote?
Create a browser/ip/cookie thumbprint of the voter and assign metrics to
determine "same person" to avoid duplicate votes?