[nycphp-talk] Htaccess and php user account

Michele Waldman mmwaldman at nyc.rr.com
Mon Dec 1 20:14:57 EST 2008

I'm trying to set up a user account with htaccess and mysql.

But the shared hosting account doesn't have mod_auth_mysql htaccess module
installed on the machines and I can't get root access.

How else are folks implementing accounts?

In php?

If so, what's the best general way to implement that.  Do you use session
variables for that?

My primary concern about implementing accounts in php is that php can stop
running on the server.  If that happens, the security becomes non-existent.
Plus, the php code can be dumped right to the browser.

I'd much rather server level security than in processes that can stop.

Thoughts on account security approaches, please.

Michele